Ralian Secret Societies

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 05:32:36 +1300

Jose Ramos:

> Peter proposes a limited scale for Arkati secret societies. I
>have to disagree. If you take half seriously the population figures in
>Genertela, CotHW, it will be necessary to go beyond the two masters
>sect, even if these are widespread too.

What do you mean "two masters sect"? I said that "Some Masters will group themselves into a larger order to control a city or somesuch". How does that get transformed into "all Arkari sects have only two masters at the most"?

>Safelstran cities are rife with secret societies of all kinds. It has
>reached a level where belonging to one or several societies is just
>the way of life.

It is? I seriously doubt that the majority of Safelstrans are members of a secret society. I strongly dislike the idea that a Safelstran can entertain the notion of joining two or more secret societies.

>Religious Societies
>Political Societies
>Arkati Societies

Is there any meaningful reason why we should keep these distinct? I can't for the life of me figure out why a Religious Society must have a strong leadership, or why a Political Society must be purely mundane affairs seeking political power for its own sake, and why Arkati are somehow special in this scheme?