Re: Prax FAQ

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:05:30 -0000

Michael Morrison speaks (from one or the other end) and says:

> Some nitpicking I have with Nick:

>>The Five Great Tribes:
>> Bison, High Llama, Impala, Morokanth, Sable.

> Shouldn't that technically be "..Impala, Herdman, Sable"? Do we not
> list the tribes by beast?

No, we do not. The Morokanth have never been referred to as the "Herdman Tribe of Prax". They have consistently been referred to as the Morokanth or Morocanth Tribe, in NG, RQ, etc. Find me a contrary published source and I'll pay attention.

>>The Ten Independents:
>>	Baboon Troop, Basmoli Berserkers, Bolo Lizard Folk, Cannibal Cult,
>>	Men-and-a-Half, Newtling Renegades, Ostrich Clan, Pavis Survivors,
>>	Rhino Riders, Unicorn Maidens.

> Shouldn't this list also include Newtlings Who Are Not Renegade?

No, it should not. The list is per "Nomad Gods", which is our el primo source for Praxian nomenclature. It sez that any Newtling you find in Prax is a wandering renegade bachelor type, compared to the happy settled non-Bachelors back home in the spawning pools of the South and West.

> And what about the Tusk Riders (not that Praxians care much for 'em...)?

What about them? They're a recent import from Dragon Pass, courtesy of the Lunar Army's enlightened mercenary policy: see "Borderlands" for details. They don't *belong* to Prax, any more than (say) the Marble Phalanx Regiment of the Lunar Heartland Corps does.

> And you include the Unicorn Maidens; what about the Unicorns themselves?

Reorder this phrase: Up Shut.

> What about followers of the Three Bean Circus? Do they still exist in
> canonical Prax? If so, are they a Magical Society or Other Tribe?

Read "Nomad Gods" (or Tales #14-16) for a pretty comprehensive list of all the spirit cults of Prax. Their worshippers are neither a Tribe nor a Magical Society. The 3-Bean Circus is a small bunch of hippies, not a Tribe.

> Do the Praxians consider Elder Races to be "of Prax"?

More likely, "in Pavis". Any trolls or elves wandering the Plaines in family groups, supporting themselves off local resources? Thot not.

> And what of the Vultures in Vulture Country, or is that outside of
> 'Prax propre'? And (shudder) what about the Krarshtkids and Krarshtides;
> chaotic yes, but Praxian?

And the Broo. And the Devil's Hand. And Cwim. This could go on all night. Buy a copy of Nomad Gods (or read the Spirit Cults in Tales #14-16) and save us all the pedantry.

IMO, a sensible response to the question "What are all the Praxian tribes?" would not include Krarshtkids, Dark Trolls, minor spirit cults, Trachodons, or two distinct listings for the Unicorn Folk. YGMV.

Andrew Barton writes:

>> a way for some overseas people donate money to the GTA without >> worrying about foreign exchange.

> Is this in place? If there was an announcement I missed it.

I was going to tell you to see the Glorantha Trading Association page at <www.glorantha.com> -- which has been updated with details on the Megacorp Route for UK donations -- but then I read David's post as the last item in V6 #454, qv.

Cheers, Nick