Not much to do with the Great compromise.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 12:45:59 GMT

Nils and I demonstrate that if you line up all the Eastern Experts end to end, you _still_ don't reach a conclusion...

> First a question of terminology: What do you mean by
> "mystical entity". I read it as "deity who is liberated
> through mystical means" (Oorduren, Govmeranen, Mairnali).

In this context (and I refuse to give up any hostages to other contexts, you don't get me that easy, Nils! <g>), I just meant "accessible by mystic techniques".

> But, I don't see a problem in that there are transcendent
> beings who "got there" from different directions.

No, not at all. I just also think there are different 'degrees' of transcendence, and that they're buggeringly hard to compare.

> > That He is apparently 'less accessible'
>
> Is it? Worship the IG the right way and you _know_ you'll
> find Solace. Worship you average Vithelan High God without
> the almost forgotten sacred texts and you get _nothing_.

OK, 'less accessible' is a vague enough term to drive a coach and four through, as you have just nimbly done. (Mastakos would be proud of you.) I mean less accessible in the sense that one can much less fully "know" the IG via Orthodox Malkionism than one can "know" mystical entities via the appropriate meditative and ascetic disciplines. (Other than going to Solace, for which the Orthodox Malkioni is to curl one's toes up.) But yes, said disciplines are harder, and far, far fewer use (or could use) them successfully than the Western mode.

> > I'm also not sure which the 'best' analogue for the Invisible God
> > is; likely either Vith, or Atrilith. That the Westerners have
> > some sort of layered notion of 'Malkion', and vary among themselves
> > as to the identity of God also complicates matters.
>
> Indeed. My take:
>
> Creator - Durapdur
> Invisible God - Atrilith

Hrrrrrrmmmmmmmm. Personally I'd say Atrilith corresponded to the Creator. The first individuated entity, the One, as opposed to Everything. But I have a hard enought time keeping my correspondances straight even _without_ mixing the traditions, so I could be talking out an unusual orifice. (Anyway saying that orifice ain't so unusual for me can step outside...)

I don't even know "who" the Invisble God is these days. Current texts seem to have innumerable dudes, all of whom have titles like "Malkion the [X]". Like, about four or five of the li'l beggars. Hopefully Peter or Nick will regale us more coherently than I can, at some point. Anyhow, my drift is I'm not sure which of _these_ is the "IG", and I'm not sure the Malkioni are sure, either...

> The number of philosophically inclined Orlanthi who
> meet Vithelan gods in the flesh is likely to remain
> low...

*splat!* Getting lower all the time. ;-) "Goddarn'd PC types..."

Well, _I_ am enjoying this topic, even if it's sending the rest of the Digest to sleep. Perhaps we would say something inflamatory about Mashunasan passing the GTA and/or Brian Tickler through the Gate of Transience, just to liven it up a tad? ;-)

Slan libh,
Alex.