Prax FAQ

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:03:20 -0800 (PST)

(Climbing into my thickened, fire-retardant skin, I reply to Nick)

Nick, rather than respond in kind, I ask, Are you feeling Ok?

>________________
>Michael Morrison speaks (from one or the other end) and says:

The insinuation here is unmistakable, and uncalled for. I asked what I thought to be sensible, if perhaps uninformed, questions about the Tribes of Prax, and Nick responds with both information and vitriol. The former I appreciate, the latter I can do without, thank you. Were I a newbie to Glorantha or this List, I would likely be scared off of both by such an attitude as Nick displays.

>> Shouldn't that technically be "..Impala, Herdman, Sable"? Do we not
>> list the tribes by beast?
>
>No, we do not. The Morokanth have never been referred to as the "Herdman
>Tribe of Prax". They have consistently been referred to as the Morokanth or
>Morocanth Tribe, in NG, RQ, etc. Find me a contrary published source and
>I'll pay attention.

I'll admit that the wording of my question sounds a bit arrogant or perhaps strident, but while I agree that we've always referred to the Morokanth rather than the Herdman Tribe, I wonder (from a Praxian PoV) why? Is it because the other tribes consider the Morocanth the beasts, even though Waha named them otherwise? But why would the flout the word of their God so? And what do the Morokanth call themselves?

>> And what about the Tusk Riders (not that Praxians care much for 'em...)?
>They don't *belong* to Prax

Fair enough.

>> And you include the Unicorn Maidens; what about the Unicorns themselves?
>
>Reorder this phrase: Up Shut.

Reorder the letters of my response: h?yw

Ok, so maybe the main Praxian Tribes consider all Unicorn-related folk to be of one Tribe, but again, I wonder what justification they have for such a view: ignorance of Unicorns? Belief that a beast is a beast, no matter what? But then what of Awakened Beasts? And, what do the Unicorn folk (maidens and beasts) think about themselves?

>> What about followers of the Three Bean Circus?
> The 3-Bean Circus is a small bunch of hippies, not a Tribe.

I remember that about them, but wondered about the Praxian view of them. If they're really a small band, then I guess hippy is about right, especially considering other Praxian views and mores.

>> Do the Praxians consider Elder Races to be "of Prax"?
>
>More likely, "in Pavis". Any trolls or elves wandering the Plaines in family
>groups, supporting themselves off local resources? Thot not.

But is Pavis "of Prax"? Or when we say Praxian, do we restrict ourselves to the Plaines only? I'd be happy to say that the Praxian Tribes are very ethnocentric, and consider only humans, Morokanth, and herd beasts to be True Praxian. Others who live in or near Prax who are Other, are not, to the Praxian, Praxian.

>> And what of the Vultures in Vulture Country, or is that outside of
>> 'Prax propre'? And (shudder) what about the Krarshtkids and Krarshtides;
>> chaotic yes, but Praxian?
>
>And the Broo. And the Devil's Hand. And Cwim. This could go on all night.

It could, but I'll spare us, and settle for the statement I made above about the Praxian view.

>IMO, a sensible response to the question "What are all the Praxian tribes?"
>would not include Krarshtkids, Dark Trolls, minor spirit cults, Trachodons,
>or two distinct listings for the Unicorn Folk. YGMV.

This is, perhaps surprisingly to you, the sort of answer I had wanted in the first place. Belated thanks.

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   IBM Software Solutions       Phone (408)463-4706
Data Replication      Santa Teresa Laboratory      FAX   (408)463-4763
Lotus Notes ID:       MCMORRIS at IBMUSM55   IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or   USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us