Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #458

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:07:44 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 07:58:54 GMT
> From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
> Subject: Not much left to say about the GTA.
>
> Brian Tickler replies to me:
> > You seem to be saying
> > that since they announced they're taking donations already, I should not
> > be able to conceive of or consider any alternatives to the chosen approach.
>
> I think it's the 'unto death' part some of us have a hard time with.
> What is there to usefully add at this point? Equally, the same might
> be said of the various retorts, mine included, so I'm going to try
> and shut up for a while after this, if at all humanly possible.
> (As just about the garrulousest of the garrulous, this is no small
> threat.)

I'm probably winding down on this thread as well...time to go back to the sidelines and wait for sunset.

> Apparently my paraphrase of your self-description of paroxysms of mirth
> at reading the GTA annoucement (24K messages, Ibid) wasn't too accurate.
> I can't quite bring myself to believe it was terribly unfair, mind you.

Perhaps not, but it was a tad cruder than the way I generally state things, which is why the paraphrase sort of bothered me...

> rights about any future (lack of) developments. What I think annoys
> many more people is the attitide of ridiculing and scoffing at the
> whole venture, which compells some of those associating themselves
> with it (whether gleefully or reluctantly) to retaliate in kind.

I can empathize with that point of view, as I am sure that you can empathize with those of us who see the GTA announcement as just the latest in a litany of questionable decisions going back 15 years now. History piles up. I reflect happily upon my days in high school in the mid-80s when my thoughts were "Damn, Cults of Prax is the greatest RPG supplement ever released...I just wish Dorastor and Masters of Luck and Death would release on time...". I know, old news; but it stills colors everything that happens until such time as something really and truly successful occurs...

> > As for the self-image comment, it really surprised me coming from you.
>
> Must have forgotten my 'obvious irony' emoticon, again.

Actually, the surprising part was that I had not said anything about you personally, other than to characterize you as "the staunchest of the staunch", which was a compliment.