Vormain refugees and other eastern sailors

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:00:25 +0100

Keith Nellist:

> >The capacity of refugees from Vormain to escape the
> >islands is surely dependant on Open Oceans.

Peter:

> Sailing between the East Isles does not require the Opening Spell.

Correct. The Closing _did_ stop inter-islands travel, but only for a couple of years. Then it was again possible to sail, but more difficult than before.

Keith:

> >Before the closing it is my guess that relations with the major sea power of
> >the time would not have been rosy: Waertagi, Jrusteli, Golden Mokato.

Peter:

> Secondly Mokato couldn't kick the Malkioni (Valkaro's Isles) out of
> the Eastern Isles, so what chance do they have of thwarting a
> massive outbreak of refugees?

Mokato's history hasn't been detailed yet, but I'd venture a guess that they didn't _want_ to kick out the Valkarians. I think the Mokatan position was that they gave Valkaro protection from the Jrusteli and let him stay.

Keith:

> Before the closing it is my guess that relations with the major sea power of
> the time would not have been rosy: Waertagi, Jrusteli, Golden Mokato.

Alex:

> Not rosy, but I don't think Mokato and the Waertagi were still major
> powers by the time of the Closing. Both suffered severe setbacks in the
> early 700's. (Though may have recovered somewhat, thereafter.)

IMO, Mokato's heyday came _after_ the early 700s, when the rival proto-empires had been squished.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/