Comparative Metaphysics

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:59:37 +1300

Nils Weinander:

>>> Creator - Durapdur
>>> Invisible God - Atrilith

Me>> The Invisible God _is_ the Creator.

>So, you mean that the IG is the same as entity resulting
>from the First Action? I assumed IG = Malkion the Law
>of the Second Action.

Detailed discussion of this point is going to be hairy since there is no published source describing the Five Actions. As the Abiding Book puts it "I believe in One God, Invisible, Creator of the Universe". The Five Actions are the way in which the Invisible God/Creator makes the world.

>Numerological Vithelan (Western
>cosmogony cosmogony cosmogony)

>0 Durapdur Prime mover
>1 Atrilith Creator

They really don't mesh since the Creator is aloof from the Cosmos whereas Atrilith was capable of manifestation within it. The Invisible God can manifest in the Cosmos but it is not the Creator when it does so.

Secondly you fall afoul of the fact that the Prime Mover is not universally accepted. Only the Loskalmi make a distinction between the Unknowable God and the Creator. Other churches would call this heresy.

>> The western equivalent of Vith is Zzabur.

>This is going out on thin ice, because the more personal
>guys are branching out too much. This example works only
>from the western perspective since according to Vithelan
>myth, Malkion is Vith's wayward son, and Zzabur thus his
>grandson.

It's not from the Western Perspective, it's a cosmological secret uncovered by the God Learners. The Westerners deny the equality of Pamalt, Genert and Vith in their myths. The four magicians embody equally valid perspectives of the Universe.

>I have no problem with westerners somehow
>equating Vith and Zzabur, but you wouldn't get enlightened
>Gloranthan metaphysicists to agree that they are equals,
>while they just might agree down to 1/Atrilith/Creator.

This is giving supremacy to the mystical perspective, an error.