Yuthuppan questions

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 17:05:48 +1300

David Dunham:

>Sagittus (= Urengeri, which is also the name of a land... probably an error
>for Urengerum).

Two different people IMO. Urengeri's (IMO Urvanyar under another name) bow is the firebow used to make the glowing firestick for paint magics. Sagittus's bow is a normal bow for putting holes into people.

>Hastatus is Star 87.

Actually Avivorus is Star 87 and people also call this Avivath after the Sunspear Hero. Although Plentonius does claim Avivorus to also be called Hastatus, he's conflating two separate deities. In roolzspeak Hastatus confers Truespear while Avivorus is the dude you sacrifice to receive the Sunspear.

Trotsky:

WQ>>Who is the city god of Yuthuppa?>>

>The city goddess of Yuthuppa is Thilla, who is presumably Buserian's
>wife.

She isn't his wife, she's the provider. This does not require a marital relationship and in Buserian's case would be rather odd.

WQ>> Is Sagittus a sky god?

> It seems unlikely, IMO. I picture him as an earth deity more than
>anything else, which would fit with his being located on Row III of the Gods
>Wall, supposedly the row of 'Gods of Earth' (though it includes Dendara,
>perhaps before her association with the planet).

The planet aspect of Dendara is at II-1. And 'Gods of the Earth' is a Plentonian _interpretation_ and is not necessarily what the Makers of the Wall themselves believed. Vantestos is not an earth king while Oslira certainly is not a below goddess!

>> How about Hastatus?

> He's got to be a sky god, surely. Aside from being on Row I, which
>consists almost entirely of sky deities, he's the god of the sunspear,
>which seems pretty sky-associated to me.

Row I also includes Umatum, a snake god, Dorbudon and Shafesora, a Rain Goddess.