Long lasting secret societies

From: Pete Nash <pete_at_pipistrel.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:41:37 +0000

Just some thoughts.

> >Considering the long lasting Secret Societies in Europe (the only
> ones I
> >know something about), and the ease with which they sprout, and
> survive
> >internal conflicts and external pressure, my opinion differs with
> yours, as
> >my essay showed.
>
> What "long lasting" Secret Societies are these? We are talking about
> something that has survived almost 900 years (from the conquest and
> destruction of the Dark Empire down to modern times). I do not know
> of a RW secret society that has lasted that long!

Um, I might be wrong here, but haven't the Masons existed in one form and another for nearly that long? Their philosophies might have changed and they might not always have been so secret, but essentially they are an elitist organization which has lasted a loooong time.

> >>It is? I seriously doubt that the majority of Safelstrans are
> members
> >>of a secret society. I strongly dislike the idea that a Safelstran
> >>can entertain the notion of joining two or more secret societies.
>
> >A difference of opinnion. I know many people who belonged to several
> secret
> >societies (under Franco's dictatorship), as any association or
> political
> >party worked as such. So perhaps I am more favourably inclined to see
> secret
> >signs, initiation tests, internal doubt, and plenty of betrayal. That
> I see
> >that as MGF is also just my point of view.
>
> But these people are from modern times. We are talking about people
> with a less sophisticated and more devout mindset. It would be nigh
> impossible for a Byzantine Cleric to display the same mental agility
> as your Father's friend and embrace Nestorianism, Arianism,
> Iconoclasm,
> Monophysitism and standard orthodoxy for example.

There have been conclusions drawn from the early period of the masons which have them closely linked with some of the teutonic orders, who in turn are rumoured to have their own secret societies. It wouldn't be a great step for me to believe a 'less sophisticated' medieval man could be a member of both.

Even if an average Safelstran can't believe in multiple world views, surely the illuminated could, and they are the ones running the societies. I also like the idea of double agents being sent to infiltrate a secret cult at the behest of his original one.

Pete

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #462