Yuthu

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:01:36 +1300

David Cake:

Dredges up a debate that I thought had been kicked around less than a month ago on another forum.

> Rather than go through that rather dull debate again, I'll just say
>I believe that Yuthu is Yuthuppan for God, and that some linguistic
>confusion has taken place - non-Yuthuppans probably know of Yuthu by
>another name (I suspect non-Yuthuppans might call Yuthu Yelm, myself, but I
>am not sure).

And my point was that 'Yuthu' is what the Yuthuppans call Yelm in his aspect as founder of the City. That fact that Yuthu means God in Dara Happan is simply irrelevant as there are plenty of religions in which the deity is called God (Islam for instance).

>Yuthuppa is sacred to Buserian, but Anaxial is also strongly
>associated with the city (and as widely initiated minor deity and mythic
>founder, probably comes closest to the sense of city god in the Pavis
>sense, unlike the less widely initiated Buserian and Yelm).

Anaxial is associated with Boats. And Buserian and Yelm are more popular deities than Anaxial despite David's assertion (even in Yuthuppa).

>This is an
>attempt to integrate the History of the Lunar Empire with GROY, which does
>not mention Yuthu at all except as a part of words like Yuthuppa and
>Yuthubars.

Primarily because the GRAY is written from a _Raibanth_ PoV perhaps? The GRAY doesn't mention Alkor either, yet David seems to have no problem with his existance.