Metaphysics

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:54:35 +0100

Me:

>> Numerological Vithelan (Western
>> cosmogony cosmogony cosmogony)
>
>> 0 Durapdur Prime mover
>> 1 Atrilith Creator

Peter:

> They really don't mesh since the Creator is aloof from the
> Cosmos whereas Atrilith was capable of manifestation within
> it. The Invisible God can manifest in the Cosmos but it is
> not the Creator when it does so.
>
> Secondly you fall afoul of the fact that the Prime Mover is
> not universally accepted. Only the Loskalmi make a distinction
> between the Unknowable God and the Creator. Other churches
> would call this heresy.

So, write Loskalmi rather than Western, say roughly equivalent rather than equal and Creator/IG rather than just Creator. The point is that at this level of cosmogony/ cosmology there are parallells. I agree completely that you will find overlaps and inexact matches, but I find comparing each view to the abstract numerological model helpful.

>> This is going out on thin ice, because the more personal
>> guys are branching out too much. This example works only
>> from the western perspective since according to Vithelan
>> myth, Malkion is Vith's wayward son, and Zzabur thus his
>> grandson.
>
>It's not from the Western Perspective, it's a cosmological
>secret uncovered by the God Learners.

So, are you suggesting that the god learners are right and the Vithelans are wrong in this case? If so, I don't agree. I that they are both right, in which case the comparison is one-sided.

>> I have no problem with westerners somehow
>> equating Vith and Zzabur, but you wouldn't get enlightened
>> Gloranthan metaphysicists to agree that they are equals,
>> while they just might agree down to 1/Atrilith/Creator.
>
> This is giving supremacy to the mystical perspective, an error.

Nope, it's taking a neutral viewpoint. To clarify, imagine two unbelievably open-minded Gloranthan scholars, one westerner and one easterner. They _might_ see similarities between the concepts of the creator/ultimate figures, but they would disagree completely about Vith and Zzabur.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #464