Re: Half-Elf; Balazar

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 22:51:24 -0000

Someone wrote:

> I was just reading the religions at the Glorantha web site and noticed
> that Pavis was a half-elf. I did not know they existed in Glorantha.

In any normal sense, "they" don't. Pavis was a one-off freak, a product of one (or more) of the weird experimental empires of the Second Age. He is the only known "half-elf" of Glorantha.

> With the fact that elves are plants I did not realize they could "cross
> pollinate" with animals.

They can't, normally.

> I was trying to cross lots of my old D+D stuff over to RQ, would anyone
> have any rules or ideas of how to handle half-elves in Glorantha?

Nope. Like I said, there's only been one (as far as we know). No call for rules. Especially not D&D crossover rules.

___
Ash wrote:

> I was under the impression that Griffin Oojit was originally submitted by
> Paul Jaquays as a non-Gloranthan (gateway) campaign to the Chaosium and
the
> Almighty Greg (moving in mysterious ways) dumped it north of the
Rockwoods.

Correct. And did a fair amount of work Gloranthifying the original manuscript.

> When the AH deal came through he did what all Divine Beings do and moved
it
> in mysterious ways by slapping it back on an Island.

Correct. But that doesn't mean that the published Gloranthan campaign "Griffin Mountain" became any less Gloranthan. Does it?

Paul MacDonald wrote:

> This is a fairly basic question, but one I can't seem to get out of my
> head - so I am dumping it on you. ;) I hope I am not treading a worn out
> path...

Fear not. This is a sensible place to get basic questions out of your head.

> In other magical traditions (like Orlanth), there seems to be a relation-
> ship between power and number of worshipers. Only very large temples
teach
> all the cults spells, ect. I am certainly at risk of playing the
godlearner
> here, but how do the Arkat "societies" manage in this regard?

As you would expect: individual Arkati worshippers possess greater personal power, hence their secret societies are able to get by with fewer worshippers than (say) the Orlanthi barbarians might require.

Or was that not what you meant?

Cheers, Nick