RE: Arkati

From: Hibbs, Philip <philip.hibbs_at_tnt.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:55:14 -0000

>Just because magic can prove that the secrets
>are 'true' does not entail that the society or religion
>will survive unchanged over great periods of time.

It will provide a stabilising factor. Yes, religions change, but the only evidence that we have is provided by generic religions with large numbers of worshippers and priests that can argue with each other, and gain popular support. A secret society may be more focused, and thus easier to maintain.

Also, the Egyptian priesthood managed to keep their religion on pretty much the same track for thousands of years (apart from that embarassing Akhenaten fellow, but that only lasted about half a century). They weren't a secret society, in that everyone knew that they existed, but they were a clique, and they had (and kept) their secrets.

>>Longevity...

>Save that the God Learners conquered the Dark
>Empire. I think that being a Grand Master would
>have a rather short life expectancy.

Why are you so convinced that some of these societies can't be that old? I reckon you run a secret society bent on world domintation, and are just trying to make us think that it's impossible...

Opinions expressed may not even be my own, let alone those of any organisations, nations, species, or schools of thought to which I may be affiliated. http://www.snark.freeserve.co.uk/
Failure is not an option, it's integral to the o/s.