Re: Half-Elves

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:50:30 EST

Michael Morrison:

<< I'm not sure Gloranthans refer to any creatures as "elves", just by their
common Genertelan name, Aldryami.>>

     This seems unlikely, IMO. Remember, an 'elf' is a specific sort of Aldryami, distinct from, for example, runners and dryads. It seems to me that when referring specifically to what the source material refers to as elves, as opposed to other sorts of Aldryami, Gloranthans do indeed use the word 'elf' (or equivalent in their language). To assume otherwise seems confusing at best.

<< If this is true, then having a "half-elf" would either be meaningless or
refer to some other kind of creature than what we think of as "elf". Perhaps people are referring to Pavis' diminutive stature when they call him a halfelf ? Or maybe it's just gamespeak for what other posters have suggested? >>

      Personally I'd go for the human initiated into the cult of Aldrya/brought up by elves version, but I say this not having read the Pavis cult write-up in many years and not knowing all that much about him.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky