Secret Societies & Ethelrist

From: danny bourne <d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 12:27:56 -0800

>Again, Guilds are not Secret Societies.

I'm sure some guilds have higher level of initiation which would equate to secret socities (masons, Yorkshire order of Yeomanry(?) etc. Nobody persecutes them. The
>question is why do I want to join a society which is illegal and/or
>immoral to join? If it is not illegal and/or immoral, why is the
>society concealing its existance or its membership?

I don't think that being a secret society means ipso facto that they're immoral and/or illegal. Would RW secret governmental organisations count as immoral? Does Black Fang count as being a secret society? The Delta Green supplement for CoC gives a perfectly valid reason for being a member of a secret society once you know it exists, they could also call themselves secret socities but really be elitist clubs that do bugger. [I wonder if the $1500 GTA donation level count as secret societies with all that extra info their coder rings will give them access to? We must guard the Skullbuster recipe at all costs, men :)]

PS Has anybody ever heard of Chapter 2 8?

On a completely different tack, has anyone got any ideas regarding Muse Roost & the other towns/villages in the black horse troop lands or, infact, about any of the troop members other than the Big E? I've got a few ideas I'm cobbling together but I know nothing about the area so I'd like some more info before I post something to the digest and, no doubt, offend all the Gloranthogeeks.

Looking forward to Bacharach

Danny