Kheldon tribe, female clan

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:31:06 +0000

Guy:

> I'm starting a new campaign, moving from traditional stamping
> grounds in Prax to Sartar. PCs are all from the Blackrock
> Clan of the Kheldon Tribe, circa 1570 (I'm making up the clan names
> as I can't seem to find consensus anywhere...).

Few clans outside of the Colymar Tribe have been published officially, and only a little more semi-officially by more than one author.

Blackrock is a fairly common name for clans, settlements, etc., from a Sun County village beset by a a chaos plague to various Sartarite places

mentioned in passing.

For eastern Sartar, the only clan list I am aware of is that of Kallyr's

Companions, which are most likely to be Kheldon or neighbouring tribes. Argrath's companions are rarely given with clan origin.

I'm not so sure about Urox being the only martial cult with a shrine nearby when there is Orlanth...

> Then I thought of this scenario, but I'm not sure it fits in with
> Sartar / Orlanthi culture as the powers that be see it......
> Lets pretend that the Peace Clan of the tribe

This sounds like each tribe gets only one peace clan, which is patently wrong - all other clans being war clans, there'd be a lot of famine around Swenstown. Of course there may be a clan which never has been a war clan, but even peace clans do fight. They usually make up their lesser fierceness by greater numbers or allies bought from greater wealth (or by paying tribute to specialized war clans and expecting protection in return).

> is totally made up of women.

Sounds less like a clan and more like a cult. Mind you, there is a Sisters of Mercy abbey somewhere in the region, on the eastern end of the Owlflight Crest IIRC.

> Men may come and marry a woman from the clan, and may even
> stay, but they are nearly always underhusbands. Male children are
> from the bloodline of their fathers, females stay in the Peace Clan.
> Each year the clan holds a harvest contest to which all the other
> clans are invited to send young men along to compete ( a way of
> finding potential husbands, probably).

> Is this sort of arrangement at all likely?

Sounds an awful lot like sedentary Yelornans to me. While Jane Williams has pushed her image of Kallyr a fair bit into this direction, I doubt this arrangement is found anywhere in Sartar. Maybe as an extremist Esrolian community...

On a side note, consider that the men most likely agreeing to this scheme would be warrior types wanting sons to follow their banner, and no girls to bother with dowry or similar. Hardly the clientele the Peace

Clan could favour.

> I guess that it makes the
> matriarchal peace clan, in this case, part of the Earth Tribe living
> within a Storm Tribe - I can see them holding together the different
> clans, providing some sort of lynchpin for the Kheldon as a whole.
> The chief of the peace clan could also be the Ernaldan High Priestess
> of the tribe, or failing that, at least occupying the place of
> Ernalda on the tribal council.

> As far as clan defence goes I guess that's a good reason for the
> underhusbands sticking around, and there are probably a crop of
> Babeester Gor cultists hanging about too.

In a Peace Clan?

> The thing that bothers me
> about it is - what sort of Orlanthi man would agree to being an
> underhusband? How tenable is the system if men aren't assured of
> passing down property to their sons, and everything remains in the
> hands of the women?

Those who don't own any (odal) property at first, but see a chance to live comfortably and richer than they would otherwise. Stickpickers turned temporary carls...