Re: More Peaceful Cut

From: Neil Smith <neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:22:25 +0000

Gary R Switzer wrote:

> Actually, I can't see the thrifty Praxians letting perfectly good
> blood go to waste by letting it drain into the ground like that.

The butcher lets some blood drain into the ground in order to give sustenance to the spirit of the butchered animal. After all, the herd beast's spirit faces a long journey back to Erithra's udder, and needs all the help it can get. If you don't give any help to the spirit, it may not make it back, and that means that your herds will diminish. A pint or two of blood is well worth it.

> I wonder if there is a Gloranthan equivalent of trichinosis?
> Otherwise pork (both domesticated and wild), bear and herdman could
> be eaten rare or even raw without danger.

Well obviously, if the animal's spirit is not sent properly on its way with the Peaceful Cut, the spirit will remain in the carcass and attack whoever eats it. Symptoms of this spirit combat will be stomach pains, general ill health, and adopting some animal-like traits: incoherent moaning, disorentation, inability to stand or use tools, etc. If this happens to one of your family, fetch a Waha shaman quick! It's also another reason why the Pavisites use Praxian butchers.

And there is absolutely no truth to the rumours that some Praxians occasionally entrap hostile spirits in the carcasses of animals not butchered by Praxians.

Neil.

Neil Smith                      email: neil.smith_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk
CISMG, Cranfield University,                    phone: +44 1793 785900
RMCS, Shrivenham, Swindon, SN6 8LA, UK            fax: +44 1793 782753

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #480