Boathouse Ruins - Official Question

From: Ian Thomson <gpo.swin.edu.au_at_lucy.cc.swin.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:48:06 +0000

Hi

Just saw this in Vol Darkness...
The ruins of the place where the Giants launched their Cradles

Since this will figure prominently in my campaign within a few weeks of real time, I'd like to know some things (possibly from the Prax Official Expert, as I presume there is no Rockwoods official expert)

I had imagined there was pretty much a pair of huge gates, maybe disguised as a cliff, which opened, and the Cradle was dragged or launched down a natural slipway into the headwaters during rainy season. (You know, huge crunching of rock as lightning flickers across the sky, slowly and majestically the massive gates grate open. Through the driving rain you can dimly make out an enormous prow jutting from the darkness of the enormous opening doorway...)

But now I know there are ruins, so I'm thinking again.

These gates may still form some part of it of course? Or is there a number of large walls which remain from a number of large buildings, that used to be stores for huge bits of wood, magical treasures, giant pigs... However I originally suspected that such things would occur in secret inside a mountain, so perhaps the Boathouse Ruins are merely where the finishing touches were done. Perhaps all the bits and contents were carried out of a smaller mountain door, and the whole thing completed at the ruins just outside this door, with the ruins being shelters for the contents, and the child safely already in the Cradle. Perhaps there was a giant crane (or giant giant) who put on the transparent deck cover as the finishing touch, just before the tearful launching?

What I would love to know is:
- - the official description of what is there (even if basic) so I can
extrapolate
- - MGF/pseudo-official ideas from other campaigns or off
the cuff
- - the official idea of how far into the Rockwoods is it
supposed to be and what the terrain is like there (impassable/unreachable/secret trails/whatever), however general these answers may be
- - the official description of the whole process of making and sending
the Cradle off, including 'why?'!!! (This last - why? - may be fairly well known and just something I've missed). As for the whole description I can live without knowing it, but would still be fascinated to.

Thanks
Ian
ithomson_at_swin.edu.au
(contrary to whatever else our stupid server might tell you)