Orlanthi and Ralios

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:52:10 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>> I reject the notion that Azilos has a Henotheist Church. It's
>> too confusing given that we already have a major henotheist
>> church elsewhere.

>I don't accept that reasoning, unless you mean that there is a Stygian
>Church of Azilos with "Stygian" not in the sense of "Darkness-related",
>but "Arkat-related".

What I mean is that the Church of Azilos does not call itself the Henotheist Church.

>The term Henotheist is not exactly reserved to
>Orlanth-worship with Malkionism...

Au contaire, it most certainly is. The only description of the Henotheist Church places it in Otkorion.

>We have all kinds of henotheist churches in Safelster. It is the common
>theme there - henotheism vs. One-Truth-Rokarism. Look at Estal with its
>earth cult cum Malkionism, reminiscent of pre-Rightness Seshnela. Look
>at Stygian Naskorion. Look anywhere.

And this relates to a church _calling_ itself the Henotheist Church in what way?

>The relevancy for Ralios is that the northern and eastern Safelstran
>states are heavily influenced by Orlanthi customs and predilections (or
>else the cult of Siglolf Cloudcrusher would fail to impact Sentanos).

Orlanthi religious life is manifestly different than the henotheist religious life of Safelster.

>Since the Orlanthi worldview is very pantheistic, there is bound to be a
>carry-over into Safelstran mentality.

There isn't, unless you count the recent Henotheist church.

>> I do not believe that [Henotheist] is Stygian nor that it has Arkat at
>> its roots.

>Then pray tell what is at its roots? Do you regard it as an invention
>out of the blue, or does it have a long history?

It is a recent invention IMO considering that the Archbishop has just forged the state of Otkorion.

>If it
>doesn't follow the scheme of the Stygian Church as faintly outlined in
>GoG, who in Ralios does follow that scheme?

The Arkati churches? There are seven different Arkati churches listed in the minor religions. They are not members of the OAKA as you seem to think.