Re: Blackrock clan; slavery

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:55:53 -0800

Jane Williams

> The two BlackRock Companions, incidentally, are the Fireman and
> Insterid Fire-Eyes. Which makes me wonder if the whole clan,
> whereever it may be, has some Fire link, and leads on to speculation
> about coal mines. Probably time to stop :)

The Fireman probably is in charge of collecting enough wood to keep the fire burning. Insterid Fire-Eyes has lured any number of young men into her bed with her bright, sparkling eyes. No fire magic need apply.

Peter Metcalfe missed my argument

> Me>> AFAIK slavery is primarily a lunar institution as opposed to a
> >> Dara Happan one.
>
> >I was under the impression that the Dara Happans picked up this custom from
> >the horse nomads (like so much else). See GRoY.73: Ergesh "God of the
> >Slaves ... actually appears to be Votank, God of the Votanki People, who
> >were regularly raided and sold into slavery."
>
> A source which is over a thousand years ago. The Votanki are virtually
> absent today in civilized Peloria thus I stand by my statement.

If a god of slavery is on the Gods Wall, then slavery is a Dara Happan institution. It may or may not have fallen into disuse, but it was well-established in Dara Happa in Plentonius's time. The original source of slaves is not important, any more than Americans used Slavs to work their cotton fields.

I don't doubt that the Lunars have come up with new ways to justify slavery, and might even have reintroduced a lapsed practice. But the Empire is a veneer of Lunar culture over older cultures, and I suspect that slavery per se is not part of that veneer.

(I'm also remembering something about a wall falling down on the lowest class during an Emperor's reconstruction project, but can't find the reference. As I recall, they were slaves.)

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #482