Slavery in Peloria; matriarchal clans

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:03:53 -0800

I think first we have to agree that customs and extent of slavery has changed throughout time in Peloria, probably gone back and forth.

Doubtless, there have been several types of slaves:

  1. Captured warriors of from your own culture, who owe a term of service as slaves before thay can be freed (much as the Babylonians did).
  2. Captured foreign warriors. (This is the first type of slavery noted in GROY- started by Emperer Urvairinus - noted for his invention of military formation, sneaky night-time assaults on enemy leaders, lethal funerary games, and other fine Dara Happan institutions.) The rules and terms here vary greatly. The lucky ones are educated foreigners who are valued for their useful skills and lack of local political ties. The really unfortunate ones wind up in Alkoth as fodder for Our Lord of Perpetual Unrulyness.
  3. Locals who cannot pay their debts. These people may enter slavery under certain conditions, and be able to work toward eventual freedom. They may have limited rights, such as to own limited property, to remain with their families, not be sold to another debt holder, etc. Or they may not - it can vary with time and place .
  4. Foreigners who are rounded up, bonked over the head, and deported to the Heartlands. These people likey have few rights, if any. They are also probably the rarest type, especially in the 1600's. Such tactics are used only when there is a severe labor shortage and a lot of new work to be done - - not really a common occurance in Peloria.

Jane - Good points on the matrilineal society. It's silly to have a clan of all women. Without men, what would they complain about? A contest for a chief's daughter, or even for the daughters of several prominant womenthanes would be worthy of a contest. (Mythically appropriate, too.)

All IMHO -

Pam