status after death

From: Pam Carlson <carlsonp_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:54:18 -0800

Re: the idea of working for your deceased ancestors to be released from slavery:

It's a possibility in some places in Glorantha, I suppose. But I don't think it would be the case in Dara Happa, for several reasons.

  1. Yelmites (who are almost never slaves, unless temporaily due to prisoner-of-war status) believe that the dead split apart, their souls going up to heavem while their Bijif parts go to hell and hang out all dusty like. There is no status associated with the Bijiif part, until it is reborn.
  2. Alkothites put all their dead in enclosures, along w/ gifts for the god. But all thees items are mixed up, for the dead have no status. All are equal in the underworld. This is in the Alkoth part of GROY.
  3. We know little of Lodrilli concepts of afterlife, except for a GROY quote from Ovosto (a Lodrilli leader) to Murharzarm's son (the current emperor) - "You're father's soul is in MY grandfather's kingdom." That doesn't seem to imply that Lodrilli worry much about their status in the underworld.

Death seems to be the Great Equivicator in Dara Happan theology.

All IMHO -

Pam

PS - Peter - great synopsis of Lunars vs traditional cultures in the empire.