Glor/Re: Matri-something clans

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:31:18 GMT

Jane on Orlanthi marriage:
> the "seven forms" are only the most
> common options. Anything agreeable to both parties and fair to the
> children might happen: look at Sartar and the FHQ!

I concur, but I'd just like to emphasise that 'both parties' in this context means not simply 'husband and wife', but the two clans concerned; one particularly Orlanthi wrinkle on the old 'Montagues and Capulets' game is where the two clan are quite content that the happy couple get hitched, but are utterly at loggerheads about what the Correct form of marriage is...

> If a clan is matrilineal, and sees healing as more important than
> fighting, I would expect female chiefs to be more common than is the
> norm. I wouldn't expect a rule that chiefs must be female, any more
> than a standard clan has a rule that chiefs must be male.

I'd agree with that. They might have a 'rule' that says 'the clan chief must be initiated into the secrets of Ernalda', or some such formula (as well as or instead of the 'normal' requirements).

Cheers,
Alex.