Reinventing oneself.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_cs.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:26:14 GMT

Tragically reduced to lower case (dieting?), mob writes:
> And maybe there are certain
> positions (priest, etc.) which descendant of a slaves are ineligible;
> retrospectively buying an ancestor's freedom then could be a nifty legal
> trick to help parvenus get ahead in today's world. I'm not sure where in
> Glorantha this might work; does Kralorela have slavery?

Aside from the Ignorance trollkin, I'm not aware of any _large_ group of slaves within Kralorela. I imagine it exists on a small scale, though. Recall that Kralorela is at least notionally meritocratic, so I'm not sure one's ancestors' poor status or misdeeds would make one automatically ineligible for such posts.

An interesting wrinkle on this might be: what about one's _own_ poor status or misdeeds, in past lives? Conventiional wisdom may simply be that such considerations are already dispensed with at one's current rebirth, but I can see a veritable cottage industry of crackpots wanting to Delve Into their prior existences (a la New Agers doing same), or indeed those just wanting blanket dispensation for their assorted karmic skeletons (after the manner of mediaeval Indulgences, with a Hoddlesque twist to the idea).

Cheers,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #487