Bloody Jeff

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:42:31 -0000

Alex writes:

> Adam Betteridge:

>> Surely if Bloody Jeff can stalk Glorantha, there is room for a herd of >> big Wombats.

> Is this a reference to some Deep Source which eludes me, or just an
> exercise in Tempting Fate by epithetising our Beloved Orlanthi Expert?
> ;-)

I am tempted to answer, "both". But truth prevails. Bloody Jeff is the Chaos Drop-Bear (i.e. vicious mutant koala) mascot of the RQ-Cons Down Under. See the back cover of Questlines #1&2 for a pin-up. Adam is positing that given Koalas, why not Wombats (or Kangaroos, etc.) in Glorantha.

IMO, whoever first writes something amusing, playable, etc. about these variant minor Praxian species gets to define what they are, at least for those readers who concur. Saying, "I once read a book about Pleistocene (plasticene?) megafauna and saw something claw-footed in there" doesn't quite cut it. Authors' original intentions notwithstanding.

Cheers, Nick