Re: Bronze Age Feel?

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 19:49:03 EST

Ken Winland:

<< Discussing this point with another Digest member, I got the feeling that  Glorantha was subtly moving away from a Bronze Age setting.

 Is this the case?

 In the RQII book and the original supps, you really got the feeling of a late BA/ early Iron Age setting. True, some of the illustrations in "Pavis" look a little too High Medieval... <g> I never saw the later AH RQ supplements, so I do not know if the setting was changing in subtle ways.>>

       The artwork for Sun County and River of Cradles looked pretty much bronze age to me, although the colour covers show some iron armour etc. (or it could be silver plating or some such). However, I think the general late bronze age/early iron age atmosphere is still deemed accurate - so long as you remain in central Genertela. The Westerners are generally depicted as medieval, and that's the atmosphere I'd go for when running something in Ralios or Loskalm. Elsewhere I'm less sure about; some parts are probably bronze age/iron age, while others may be more (or less) sophisticated.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

 Has anyone else found this to be true or false? One of my attractions to  Glorantha as a setting was its very BA feel, which was/is unique among game  settings (aside from some of the GURPS historical supplements).

 Ken