Bronze Age Glorantha?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 14:40:41 +1200

Trotsky:

>The artwork for Sun County and River of Cradles looked pretty much
>bronze age to me, although the colour covers show some iron armour
>etc.

FWIW Sun County has phalanxes which are an Iron Age phenomenon. The Sun Dome Temple _is_ modeled upon a bronze age temple but it was built during the Imperial Age and is now known to be a copy of Temple complexes that were built during the Dawn Ages, i.e. the design is extremely archaic and over 1000 years old. None of the other buildings, armor (the vampire is feeding on a warrior with chain armour), equipment depicted in either of those books are bronze age. If you want to know what real bronze age armor looks like, look up the Dendran panoply and honestly ask yourself if this is what gloranthans wear...

>However, I think the general late
>bronze age/early iron age atmosphere is still deemed accurate - so
>long as you remain in central Genertela.

The 'early iron age' means people like the Hittites and Mycenaens. Are you sure that this is what you meant? Generally the Orlanthi and the Lunars are far more sophisticated technologically than any early iron age culture and they do not look "bronze age" to me.

If we must use labels, call them "ancient" or "classical". That way you avoid stupid arguments on topics such as "Gloranthan longboats aren't really viking longboats for the latter relied upon iron nails and we all know that Glorantha is a bronze age world (tm)".