Bronze age Glorantha

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:18:30 +0200 (EET)

> Hi,
>
> Is it me or is it quiet round here?

It's rather quiet. I don't mind, since I have very little time for e-mail at the moment...

> Ken's summation of the early RQ game supplements having a 'Bronze age
> feel' is spot on. It's the main reason that my group started to play RQ
> in the first place...

Indeed, the world is full of pseudo-middleage-with-magic settings, bad fantasy novels and the like. I like Glorantha as an ancient world. At least I base my stuff on bronze age cultures and technology. I aknowledge that many RQ-Glorantha supplements have fallen to the trap of pseudo-medievalism, but that is such an easy route to take it holds no attraction for me.
  The way I run Glorantha a stout bronze sword is a real treasure for most people. Iron is very rare, and the bloody west isn't an Ironsword wielding, ironplatearmor wearing pseudo-medieval David Eddings setting. I kind of like Gregs idea of experimenting with the european mindset, in the West, but it doesn't require lifting the west far above the rest of the world in terms of technology. The malkioni cultures don't seem like the places where technology develops fast at any rate.   I like the "Sand in the sandals" feel of running a really ancient world, and Glorantha fit's the bill marvelously.

> I suspect that I'm in a minority when I admit to having no interest in
> the Western stuff or the oriental bits because it always seems like they
> were stuck on afterwards. I definitely prefer the Bronze age/ Classical/
> Dark age/ Celtic/ Saxon etc bit in the middle.

Hear! Hear!

> That's just my opinion though!
>
> Cheers,
> Craig

You said it quite well Craig. You get my vote :)

        -Mikko, the Adept

"thinker, dreamer and adventurer"