Re: GTA; western tech

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:45:38 -0800

David Cake

> I haven't joined yet because at some point, there was mention that
> arrangements would be made for Australian similar to those made for the UK.
> Any word on this front, or should I just investigate the complexities of
> the currency exchange system myself?

If you want to be considered a charter member, I'd just do it. I'm not aware of anything about to be announced to help Australians.

Mikko Rintasaari wrote

> The malkioni cultures don't seem like the
> places where technology develops fast

This seems to be true -- Greg Stafford was very definite that the Jrusteli merchants of the Second Age never developed the rudder. (Apparently they had enough magic technology that they never felt the need to develop mundane technology.)

On the other hand, I think you'll find the most advanced technology (overall) in the west, possibly because their magical system offers limited benefits for average people, who may thus resort to technological measures to improve themselves. And the materialist mindset encourages poking around with physical stuff.