Re: Elvish Liberation Front

From: Chris & Cora Lemens <clemens_at_flash.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:04:58 -0600

Steve Lieb: "[M]y feeling for Aldryami are that in a very simple sense, they are communal beings. That is, they don't share a group mind or such nonsense, but they are intimately connected at a lower level, if you will. For example, within a given ecosystem . . . Aldryami recognize each other and know on an empathic level information about each other."

Alex Ferguson: "I agree with you, and so far as I know it concurs with such 'canon' (or at least, consensus) exists on the topic. I don't think one need necessarily get too het up about what the 'mechanism' for this empathy is in order to agree that it appears to operate (doubtless Gloranthan scholars have a fine time arguing about that very point, though). I suspect, though, that their empathy is directed primarily at their eco--, ahem, their forest, though obviously other elves at least count as part thereof."

Alex probably remembers that we (the digest) did argue about it about two years ago. I still have quasi-formatted notes about the exchange. I think the generally agrees "mechanism" was the "Song of Aldraya". This is not a literal song. It is some sort of vibration/subtelepathy. Elves move in time to it like dancers to a song. It is part of their environment. However, they contribute to it, like singers in the chorus. Each forest appears to have its own song. Presumably the forest (the name of which I've forgotten) that the lunars destroyed in that battle (the name of which I've forgotten) where fire poured from the sky (moon burn??), has a very sad song. I would think that forests' songs would be more varied in melody and harmony, etc. if they are mixes of deciduous and coniferous, etc. To elves, the presence of the song is as present as the presence in (?)Alkoth, but obviously more comforting.

Apart from this one point, I was in a minority of one about a lot of things, so I shouldn't attempt to summarize the other sides. I believe that elves feel a sense of stewardship for their particular part of the forest. Where humans use property rules to determine conflicts over land use, elves' conflicts are harmonized by the song of Aldrya. The idea of stewardship is, to me, implied in the title/honorific of "Gardener". I think this must be the ideal of elvish society. Sure, the High King Elf was a big hero, but most elves have no desire to be heroes. (Think about it. Who are your day to day role models? Patton? McArthur? Custer? Didn't think so. Dad is more likely.)

It's been a long time since I subscribed. Sorry for the lapses in memory. There was lots of other good stuff in that exchange. Whoever gets designated to be the elf expert should have a look.

Chris "God Learner" Lemens
Join GTA!

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #498