Re: Bronze Age & GTA

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:31:08 EST

Brian Tickler:

<< The material available on Prax and the Zola Fel river valley in my opinion is worth more than all the "outlying" kingdoms and empires of Genertela combined. This one small area has got to be most cohesive, unique, and gamable area in any game world, and I'm willing to bet this even against game worlds I've never heard of...>>

     I should add that when I said that I suspect the majority of RQ/Glorantha fans are far more interested in the central parts of Genertela than the other parts of the world, I don't include myself among that majority. I also suspect that Brian's concentration solely on Prax and the Zola Fel is narrower than that of this supposed majority - I would expect most Glorantha gamers to at least be interested in Sartar, for example, and Griffin Mountain didn't sell too badly (or so I gather).

<<I may be more extreme in this view than most, but almost every RQ player
 I've ever talked to came into the game partly for these reasons.>>

     Which doesn't necessarily mean they will want to stick solely with that region. But you're right, IMO, in agreeing with Issaries that central Genertela is the place to start.

<<At least Issaries recognizes that they need to push their strengths first,
then expand later. The key of course is to publish new material on these areas and segregate it from the obilgatory old material, so that the current fan base isn't paging though a 3rd round of reprinted and rehashed stuff trying to separate the new material from the old... >>

      As far as I can tell, very little of the Issaries material will have been printed before, or at least not in RQ supplements - although parts of KoS would, I suspect, be reprinted in the Sartar/Orlanthi material. OTOH, the downside from Brian's point of view is that what's being described first is Sartar, followed by the Holy Country, Tarsh and the Lunar Empire (not necessarily in that order) - Prax and the Zola Fel are being left out for the forseeable future and don't appear on the list of 30 plus books intended for publication. This is, I gather, specifically because doing those areas would necessitate re-hashing large amounts of old material rather than being able to write much new - these areas are pretty well described already. If this really is the *only* area you're interested in, you may as well stick with the fairly extensive information you already have, because nothing new is likely for a long time AFAIK...

<<what's going on with the "Observers"? When I looked on the web page for an Email link to use to become an Observer (last month, I think), I could only find instructions on how to handle donations, so I ended up Emailing the only link I could dig up on the page (Greg's Email, I believe). I've heard nothing back up to this
 point, though. Perhaps I've been declined for past considerations ;).>>

     Well, presumably there must be a method to become an Observer, or 150 people wouldn't have already done so :-)

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #499