Prime Purpose and Elder Races...

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:27:47 -0800

Steve asserts, (paraphrasing):
"Elves and Dwarves are similar in having a communal Primary motivation, as
opposed to other races"

I think there is some merit to that, but have to quibble with Trolls not having Prime Purpose. Trolls purpose is to Eat. I think that the thing that makes humans unique in glorantha is that they, of all the races, have no single central drive. Better to say that All elder races have a primary drive, and a "scope of motivation" (for lack of a better term) that describes their sence of "them" and "us". Humans combine all of these drives and scopes in an unpredictable and changeable manner.

for example:
Race -- Drive -- Scope:
Elf -- Growth -- Community

Dwarf -- Craftsmanship -- Heirarchy
Troll -- Hunger -- Family
Broo -- Lust -- Self.

Dragonnewt -- transformation(?)-- ??

Thus, while elves and dwarves both have a more "stable" and less violent social mechanism than trolls and humans, I think it is deceptive to draw too many parallels based just on that. Though they may appear somewhat similar on the surface, the outlook and motivation is entirely different.

Elf --> "I live in the forest, and strive to act in harmony with the others who live here, for the common good of all. I am valuable because I am a part of the whole, and put the needs of the community before my own. We prosper when we heed to the voice of Aldrya, as she whispers to us her desires."

Dwarf --> "I have a Job. I do my job percisely, and on time. The forman gives me the specifications of my job and I fulfill them exactly. I am valuable because I can do my job better than anyone else could. We prosper when each of us serves the purpose that Mostal created them for, from the highest Golden Diamond, to the lowest Clay Pestle-Polisher."

Troll --> "I'm Hungry. Mom'll be mad at me if I don't give her some food too. I am valuable because I am Smart and/or Strong enough to feed myself, my family, and have some food left over for the priestess, so that Kyger Litor will be happy and protect us. Prosperity is a full belly, and a large family to provide for my needs."

Human --> "I am a Warrior of Sartar. I am feasted for the fine job I do fighting for the greater good. I serve the army as a Champion of the King. We prosper when the Nation acts together under a strong King, and warrior, cottar, and godi each do their part to provide for their Country and to enrich themselves as individuals."

I think that all the elder races have a Prime Purpose, and that that is one of the main things that makes them different from humans.

I also think that describing the Mostali in any way as "communal" is extremely deceptive. They are fiercely individualistic within the scope of their "function" Whereas elves will mold themselves to do whatever they
"feel" is "needed", Dwarves do what they do, regardless of the effect to
anyone else. Their only concern for the "community" is that it provide them the raw materials to perform their "job" An Iron dwarf will gladly watch his community starve to death, so long as they are well defended militarily. It would never occur to him (without intervention from above) to leave his guard-post to go an hunt down some Food -- that's someone else's job.

Elves do what is needed
Dwarves do what they do
Trolls do what they feel like
'Newts do utterly bizare stuff

Humans do a variety of things for a variety of reasons.

danm