The word for world is forest

From: Loren Miller <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:41:02 -0500

<styopa_at_iname.com> wrote:
> Alex sends a quarrelsome email, validating himself as a Glorantha fan:
> >The term 'forest' strikes me as being spot on. Counterexamples?
>
> I only felt that forests could be a subset of ecosystems, since Elves of
> various types don't necessarily inhabit only "forests"
> Other examples: blue elves in kelp beds, red elves in tropical swamps,
> black elves in mushroom patches. IMG there are Aldryami wherever there is
> plant life that's been there for a while. Hell, my players were more than
> a little surprised to encounter what they called "khaki elves" in a
> badlands area well northeast of Corflu.

Certainly Aldryami would have a word in their own language for what Steve describes. It would have the same sort of ring that ancestral-nation-state-and-mother-of-all-that-is-right-and-true would have for us humans. But that word in aldryami is probably best translated into english (I mean sartarite [no I mean ur-theyalan]) as forest.

Kelp forest
Fern forest
Mushroom forest or fungus forest
Cactus forest

Similarly any relatively homogenous grouping of dominant plant phyla would be a "forest."