Re: Prime Purpose and Elder Races...

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 17:46:19 +0100 (BST)

Dan McCluskey has:
> to quibble with Trolls not
> having Prime Purpose. Trolls purpose is to Eat. I think that the thing
> that makes humans unique in glorantha is that they, of all the races, have
> no single central drive.

I submit that the perception of whether a species has a 'central drive' or not is highly subjective, and conditioned by the assessor's _own_ drives and behaviour. Asking an elf or a troll what she thought what motivated human behaviour might be instructive. People are a lot more prone to seeing stereotypes or outright determinism in groups (or in this case, species) other than their own...

Admittedly human cultures seem to show greater variation than that of the Elder Races, which one could chose to see as either causing the above perception, or of exaggerating its apparent effects.

Slan,
Alex.

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #501