RE: Bronze age feel, et al.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 01:35:36 +0100 (BST)

NFranz197 wonders:
> As a matter of fact, what other fantasy RPG
> features a feudal mediaeval society and Germanic-type barbarians as close
> geographic neighbours?

Heaps of 'em. In fact, RQ wasn't even the only *Chaosium* RPG to do this.  ;-) (I have the opposite complaints about the two -- too much 'Dark Age' stuff in Pendragon, and not enough 'Mediaeval' -- and vice versa, for Glorantha...)

> I'm sure most of you remember the classic "Genertela, Crucible of the Hero
> Wars" boxed set.

I suddenly feel very old. I remember when it was 'heterodox and new-fangled', never mind 'classic'... (At this point, if it pleases the court, I'd like to call an RQ2 Bore expert witness.)

> In that box, the so-called Genertelan Player's Book features
> four very different cultures as the _suggested_ backgrounds for new Gloranthan
> player-characters: [...]
> Why shouldn't "Hero Wars - The RPG" feature the same four backgrounds as
> suggestions to new players, plus maybe the Lunar legionnaire (!), and the Pent
> nomads (- "Where do you ride to, stranger?").

Because it's too 'bitty'. Much better to do one per book(/box/set), so that it's better supported. Much as I liked the RQ3 stuff, it was far too 'It's Fire Season, so this must be Pent' in character. I like the way that Issaries have decided to 'regionalise' their publications, since hopefully it means we get more depth on each, and as a free sideeffect,  it means like the Sunday newspaper sports/business/arts/whatever sections, it means one can ignore what one doesn't care for so much with that much greater efficiency.

The only down side is that it may mean waiting for one's particular hobbyhorse to get any sort of canter. If the publication plans are anything to go by [ http://www.glorantha.com/products/future-plans.html ] then it looks like Loskalm will be about fifth up of the various regions. Higher precedence than I'd give it, personally -- and no, not out of pique that it's higher than the East ;-) -- bit could still take quite a while to roll round.

Cheers,
Alex.