Fungi and plants

From: Erik Sieurin <sieurin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:35:49 -0800 (PST)

AFAIK (though I'm certainly no mycologist) most mushrooms
and toadstools in the forests here in Sweden have pseudo-
symbiotic relationships with different trees and bushes.
It is one of the reasons they are hard to cultivate (to the ire
of many mushroom-loving gourmets).

If this is true for some Gloranthan forests as well, you can
find symbiotic relationships between some fungi and samoe trees,
which ought to be mirrored in the relationship between their
related elf-species. (So your pine elf could have a little
mushroom dark elf sidekick sitting on his shoulder.)

I think rotting properly and return back to the forest is
as important to many Aldryami as getting a proper burial
is for humans, and since it's obvious that the fungi play
a part,they accept this as well. Mee Vorala as psychopomp?

As regards fungal diseases, the associated Voralans (if any)
are probably hated, but they might have troll allies instead.

In short, I think plant-elves relate to mushroom-elves as the
ecological role of the mushroom-elves dictate, not as just 'Voralans'.
Since different kinds of fungi are just as diverse as different
kinds of plant, and I don't think that Aldryami relate to other
plants in the same way (my old example: in the RW spruce forests
tend to slowly 'drive off' decideous forests, and I can very well imagine
elven wars between different kinds of forests in the same way
- - the elven way, which is nothing like human armies battling it
out on the field of war), I don't think they relate to mushrooms
in the same way either.

===
'The Owl and the Pussycat went to sea,
In a beautiful, pea-green boat...'
>From 'The Owl and the Pussycat' by Edward Lear
Erik Sieurin
Did you think I would reveal things about myself in this .sig? HA!
sieurin_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?