Praxian supplements

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 18:25:54 EST

Brian Tickler:

<< Actually, saying that the 2-page map is well fleshed out and that Prax is
the most detailed area available doesn't exactly equate to me concentrating solely in that one area. >>

     My misunderstanding.

<< My point is that if one is looking to promote Glorantha's strengths, then
further developing the well-known areas would probably be better then developing whole new campaign packs for areas far from Dragon Pass.>>

     And, indeed, the Orlanthi books will come first, followed by the Lunar Empire. These are well-known areas (or people who've occupied a well-known area), although perhaps not to the same level as Prax. Since they're already writing these, changing their schedule to do a Prax supplement at this time won't be an option, but hopefully Prax-fans will get a chance to lobby for a supplement covering their favourite region - however, I suspect the GTA/HW list would be the best forum for that, once its up and running.

<< what's being described first is > Sartar, followed by the Holy Country,
Tarsh and the Lunar Empire (not > necessarily in that order) - Prax and the Zola Fel are being left out for the > forseeable future and don't appear on the list of 30 plus books intended for > publication. This is, I gather, specifically because doing those areas would > necessitate re-hashing large amounts of old material rather than being able to > write much new - these areas are pretty well described already. [snip] You may as well stick with the fairly > extensive information you already have, because nothing new is likely for a > long time AFAIK...

 Bah...there's lots of areas of Prax that have little or no material on them>>

     I was just quoting the answer that I've heard Issaries give in the past when the subject has come up. I'll willingly concede that 'fairly extensive' is a relative term, and certainly doesn't mean 'comprehensive' :-)

<< Tourney Altar - Biturian Varosh visit, not much else
 Pairing Stone - Biturian Varosh visit, not much else  Ex - Vague reference in Wyrm's Footnotes, not much else

      They are.

<< but in any case, I consider background material to only be a piece of the
pie...scenarios are a must to add that "lived-in" flavor to a locale.>>

     True enough. While a number of scenarios are planned for publication in the region books, I don't know how many per book, length of scenarios etc. Current plans don't include any for Prax - although to be fair, I think it is pretty difficult to argue that there aren't a fair number already. You may feel that there aren't enough, but IMO, it wouldn't be a good idea to publish lots of scenarios for one region at the expense of even describing the others, which is the sort of decision that Issaries would have to make as a publisher. Do the familiar/popular bits first by all means, but don't forget the others - the current plans list something like 30 books, that'll take *at least* 3 years as it is, and while I agree a Praxian book ought to be in there somewhere I wouldn't want to see many of them pushed aside to make way for an even greater wad of Praxian scenarios (I'm assuming there would be a few in the region book, if it were published). Presumably, you disagree?

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky