Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #503

From: Brian Tickler <tickler_at_netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:47:16 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 11:47:42 EST
> From: <Kmnellist_at_aol.com>
> Subject: Prax detail
>
> Am I alone in thinking that a lot of Pavis and the Big Rubble are as they are
> as the result of a simple contivance to generate simple (really) old style
> dungeon adventures? This makes it 'gameable' as it was designed to be,
> 'cohesive' because it was well done, but I wouldn't really say it was unique,
> any more than lots of other 'fantasy' settings are unique, ie one of a kind.

I would call the area fairly unique among gameworlds. Certainly you can't compare it to, say, Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, etc. which don't have a single unique concept in their entire pile of background and supplements? Certainly not to Call of Cthulhu, or Champions, or Pendragon, James Bond, or any of the games that borrow their settings from other literary works, movie genres, etc. Maybe Paranoia's setting? But that's a warped futuristic setting that really has no substance beyond what's required to have encapsulated game sessions. Guess I'm just not familiar with all these games that have really unique settings...

> Brian was refering to the lack of details for Prax and gave some good
> examples. I 'kind of' agree with him and would have like to have seen scenaris
> for, for example, Tourney Altar or Sog's Ruins. However, at this stage I think
> a lot of GMs may have already made up their own versions so any published
> stuff would inevitably step on peoples toes in some way. Most of Prax is an
> empty wilderness filled with savages anyway so there aren't that many details.

I beg to disagree...the potential for areas like The Paps, The Dead Place, The Block, etc. are boundless...(and all the other places that start with "The", too). Savage != simple and boring...

> To really get into Prax I think the scenario that needs writing is one of a
> clan's survival in a bleak empty wilderness with only their herd to keep them
> alive; a bit like the steadholder thing in Doraster - with resources, skills
> and other stuff.

Let's keep the clans out of Prax...it was annoying enough when they suddenly appeared in Sartar :)...

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #504