My answers:

From: Kmnellist_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 05:51:12 EDT

In a message dated 4/4/99 10:08:11PM, you write:

<< 3) Does anyone run stuff in Kralorela right now,

      or rather, are there fan publications on it that you could recommend?

I don't know anyone who does but you could look at Paul Mason's Water Margin stuff on the internet. My own personal view is that Kralorela is a little dull right now 1621; apart from having a funeral service for the rest of the world, the curse of ancestors and a few other odd events there is not much conflict and therefore drama there at the moment. This hasn't always been the case though. I think there is a good campaign to be had assisting exiled Exarchs in their quest to find Godunya, move a star, fight the Ogre King and his Legion of Red Bones, and survive a few earthquakes and tidal waves as Godunya's Dragons roll into action. Sometime later we have Sheng Seleris wandering around being a generous healer type, then a brutal invader turning rivers red with blood and all that sort of stuff. I'd also like to know what the story behind the two headed monsters of Boshan is (they plague the land from 1370-1520).
And what did Jaldon Toothmaker get up to in his Eastern travels?

 4) One point in the standard RQ sorcery rules that has always annoyed me a  bit

      is that a sorcerer has to permanently sacrifice points of his own INT to
 an

      animal familiar (sacrificing POW won't do, AFAIK). Assuming that a
      professional adept sorcerer would have several animal familiars in his
 lifetime,
      doesn't this mean he himself would get stupider and stupider over the
 years? >>

As a Gm I like this rule. I always think of Tom Baker in 'Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger' when I think about familiars who got older and weaker each time he made one. The advantage to the sorceror is that he doesn't really need to sacrifice anything but his INT to gain a useful creature - I generally play it that the familiar itself then makes more familiars using it's newly awakened INT. I don't really play it that he sorceror gets stupider and stupider but possibly more distracted (a bit like a shaman) and sometimes with animal characteristics rubbed of from his familiars. The rule I think is more peculiar is the SIZ rule, where a mage shrinks to up the SIZ of his beast. I once devised an NPC who had a siz 40 dog but who was himself only SIZ 1. This made such things as 'fly' spells easy, made him hard to hit, but gave him a great big scary ally. I see no reason that a magician shouldn't reduce himself to zero in a characterisic and become a kind of 'brains in vats' thought experiment, or a disembodied spirit, or an intelllect free vegetable (NOT an elf) served by lots of awakened familiars, or even a shrivelled up little body with a huge green head calling itself Mekon.

Sorcerors souls have been turned to ash so who cares what they do in their spare time.

Keith N

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #507