Thoughts on Enlightenment

From: Morgan Conrad <mpc_at_coastside.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 01:32:34 -0700

In the past, there have been discussions in this list on whether Arkat was actually Enlightened, and whether Dragon Enlightenment is the same as Lunar is the same as ...

Here's Morgan's theory:

All enlightenment is basically the same, but it is the *attitude* towards it that varies and determines it's effects.

For example, Lunars feel that enlightenment is intrinsically good, though it does need some controls or "healing". Lunars teach that it is acceptable, even expected, to use Enlightenment, within these contraints, to gain power to advance some greater social good. In our campaign, these "controls" take the form of a more strict Buddhist meditation as an additional technique to free-form Zen-like riddles. (plus Lunar bureacracy)

Arkati feel that enlightenment is intrinsically bad, and definitely in need of controls. I see them as western style monks in their approach. They teach that it is very very risky to use Enlightenment to gain power, since they mistrust it so much.

Gbajites presumably fall into the "it's intrinsically good, and no controls are needed" camp. They use free-form, Zen-like riddles. Using Enlightenment to gain power is o.k.

There may be even more attitudes towards Enlightenment. (I have more ideas but am saving them for my campaign) Who knows what Dragons think?

Taking a modern analogy, enlightenment is a bit like a homosexual realizing their orientation and "coming out" today. Some see it as natural and liberating, some as a terrible sin against God and morality. These attitudes, on the part of the person coming out and his or her associates, determine the effect much more than the actual event itself.

Comments?

Morgan Conrad

End of The Glorantha Digest V6 #509