Black Elves and Disease...

From: Dan McCluskey <daniem_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 08:22:34 -0700

Emmanuel Ponette:

        IMHO, plant diseases could be fungal. Diseases are associated to Malia, who

        certainly had perverted a daughter of Mee Vorala to infect the Aldryamis.

        Allies of these chaotic black elves disease masters should be Broos (aldryami broos?) and not Uz, who are anti chaos fanatics.

The origin of the fued between Voralans and Aldrayami is detailed in the Uz Lore book from TrollPack... though I can't remember the details at the moment. It predates Chaos by a fair bit though, I think.

A disease connection through Malia does not necessarily rule out Uz allies, though. I'm not sure that the Uz really consider Malia to be "chaotic" so much as simply "evil". Drastic Darkness details a bit about Uz worship of Malia, and I think that there are other sources that mention it. Malia definately one of those "grey area" chaos gods, that might "really" not be chaotic, but just kinda seems like it (or vice-versa depending on who you ask ;-).

As to the Uz feelings towards Voralans and Alddrayami, it is pretty similar. They are food. The only difference is that Voralans are "food you can trade for" and Aldrayami are "food you have to steal". Trolls and dark elves have an uneasy truce, kind of "I won't eat you if you will show me which mushrooms won't kill me in painful and disgusting ways"

I suspect that Black and "Normal" (green/brown) elves are deadly enemies with nearly identical outlooks. Much like the Green and Orange Irish, or even Muslims and Christians. Generally it seems, the more similar the antagonists, the more violent the conflict, and I suspect that to be true in this case.

danm

PS --
My most sincere apologies also to Mikael Raaterova for the confusion in regards to the "seven darknesses" bit. In Stephen's defense, he did ask me if it was mine, and I couldn't remember. Over the course of several weeks and email exchanges, we decided that it probably was mine, and I'm actually quite dissapointed to find out it's not :-P I'd become quite proud of it ;-) fortunately Stephen is not such a large guy that the Trollkin will be too full to make a snack of me after they are done working him over... (just don't throw me to the voralans <shudder>)