1984 -- Gloranthan Year Zero?

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_yeats.ucc.ie>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 01:14:05 +0100 (BST)

Brian Tickler states:
> Nobody I know has ever used the term "clan" to reference Praxians...maybe
> it's in some of the "later" books, like Genertela

Genertela, Gods of Glorantha, Nomad Gods (new edition, at any rate), and every fannish source that I can think of... I'd don't have a Cults of Prax handy, but otherwise I can't think of a major source that _doesn't_ state that they have clans, much less in any way implies the contrary. I'm not particular interested in which such sources are pre-RQ3, especially since no such retrospection was in any way implied in the original post.

> I don't recall, but if
> so, it seems a poor term to describe a nomadic group, given that the
> clans most commonly referred to are of the European variety.

If we agree that Praxian society is based on nomadic communities of on the order of a few hunders in size, aggregating together into larger groups only for trade, war, and such shenanigans, then we can call them 'small tribes' if it makes one more happy. But 'clan' seems a reasonable enough word to me. (I'm not aware that 'clans' need be European -- anthrologolists seem quite happy to apply it to whomever they fancy, with such trippy definitions as 'unilineal kinship group', if that helps any.)

> Since I already said that the area is one of the most highly detailed
> areas in any gameworld, I'm not sure you're following me on this one; I was
> simply trying to say that, in my opinion, further fleshing out already
> detailed areas would be preferable to expounding on new areas. Here are
> a two reasons off the top of my head:

Argumentfollowingwise (as Gary Trudeau's Al Haig might have said) I think I might claim the converse, with at least as much basis. Let's further examine the publication plan this seems to imply. First, Issaries 'churn' all the existing material on Prax[*], so as to have a basis on which to: second, publish some additional material. I stand by my points of my previous messages regarding such an endeavour, with the hopefully clarifying detail that: the former will be infuriating to fans that already _have_ tons of Prax material; and that the second is increasingly existing on crumbs as far as finding anything particularly Cosmos-shakingly _new_ to say about Prax. Does anyone honestly think the Praxians would sustain the sort of depth of information that Sartar and the Orlanthi are going to come in for (3, 4 books?) without starting to send the average gamer to sleep? Sure, one could simple write endless Praxian scenarios, but I don't think that's a remotely viable plan to jump-starting a new game.

[*] Though the other topic under discussion seems to imply that you don't even consider most published material on Prax to be 'valid', so re-doing it all in HW form would surely just infuriate the 'RQ2 diehards' even more, no?

> None of the RQ2 publications
> that I'm aware of ever based a scenario around a clan-based issue or
> area. Call it what you will...I prefer the term "revisionist history"
> though ("Gregged" also works fine).

I'd prefer to reserve such terms for when some actual _information_ has been contradicted by later material, not simply for deflated preconceptions with no apparent basis in any source. Unless an instance of such 'revisionism' could be cited, perhaps?

> Thinking back on my original post, I hardly see what anyone's troubled
> about. An offhand comment that was clearly a joke?

I'll stipulate that it clearly had a smiley appended to it -- 'joke' the jury is still out on. ;-) I'm not intending to 'pick on' anyone here, but the humorous remark in question, if not actually intending to make any 'point', seemed based on such a false premise as to be worth remarking upon.

"No one enjoys a good laugh more than I do. Well, except perhaps my wife [...]"

Cheers,
Alex.