Elemental mysticism

From: Roland Volz <roland_volz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 22:50:55 PDT

In The Glorantha Digest V6 #510, Dan McCluskey said:
>My most sincere apologies also to Mikael Raaterova for the confusion
>in regards to the "seven darknesses" bit.

I actually really enjoyed the 'seven darknessses' bit, and it led me to thinking about the 'elemental mysticism' inherent in Glorantha (please nobody flame me if you think I'm misusing the term 'mysticism'). It seems to me that the various elemental pantheons have built-in mystical paths that have not really been fully explored in the literature. I mean, in the RW, a path describing 'seven darkneses' would likely be concerned with a personal transformation process relating to a particular cult or sect. Thinking along these lines, I checked the literature and found in King of Sartar a reference to the 'seven winds' (although these are defined in a way apparently contradictory to the way they are described in Wyrm's Footprints). Then in the earth cults, there are the 'six earths' which are easily seen to be a mythic reflection of the life-path of a woman, with two aspects to each stage. Has anyone else done any work on this? It would really help me out.

Thanks
Roland