Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #513

From: John Holmes <jdholmes_at_igc.apc.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:44:27 -0700

The Glorantha Digest wrote:

> << >Note that, according to Troll Gods, one of the divine spells available
> >to even 'normal' Voralans is one that creates fungal plant diseases.
>
> I wouldn't make assumptions about the nature of a species based on one
> divine spell in a cult writeup,>>
>
> That one spell is a fairly major proportion of the total material to
> have been published about the Voralans. I agree that it might be gregged in
> the future, but if I'm going to make assumptions about the nature of a
> species based on anything at all, the official material seems to be a good
> place to start.

Well, speaking as one of the editors of Elder Secrets, I heartily agree.

> << The important question to me is: what is the perceived role of fungi from a
> pre-scientific viewpoint?>>
>
> In the case of most fungi I don't imagine they have a perceived role -
> ecology being a pretty modern topic. Still, you could observe that moulds and
> the like make things mouldy and are thus associated with decay, while
> parasitic fungi (probably not known to humans, but I'm sure they would be to
> the Aldryami) make plants sick. While I don't suppose that Moulder is the
> only unique magic that Voralans have, I see no reason to suppose it isn't an
> example of it. From their POV, its just a fertility spell like Bless Crops or
> Sprout...
> So long as we aren't talking particularly virulent plant diseases
> (which I agree are Malian) I see no contradiction in Voralans being
> associated with one of the key things that fungi do in the RW - at least
> until the official sources say otherwise.
>
> Forward the mouldy Fungal Army!
> Trotsky

Towards the end of the editing process, Bill Dunn and I were trying to get as much stuff
in about the minor and interesting Elder Races as possible. I recall Greg
was particularly resistant about writing us more about the Voralans, who he thought we
were giving too much space to, details about how to run, etc.

His basic conception of the Voralans:

"Remember, these are mushroom people!"

Voralans spend almost all of their time in the dark, doing absolutely nothing, and getting high on their 'shrooms.

John D. Holmes

(PS: we hated Dobyski's artwork as much as everyone else did.)