Isn't RQ "community integrated"?

From: Sir Alisander <sir.alisander_at_earthling.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:08:21 +0200

        In issue 514 Keith N wrote, acknowledging a point made by Brian Tickler in the issue before:

<<Perhaps when/if HW gets back around to Prax (2035?) it's more
'community integrated' system would encourage Waha players.>>

        Why, isn't RQ "community integrated"? What do you mean? I've always played campaigns where the PCs were low-level scum who had to be quite community integrated in order to survive. My first RQ campaign - which BTW wasn't set in Glorantha - was about characters cursed to be cast out of every community that happened to accept them, and always struggling to find a "new place to call their own". They never rejected the need for allies, friends and even families. They never had enough money to buy themselves a house nor to spend the whole winter in an inn (which at that time didn't exist).

        In Glorantha this is accentuated by the fact that if you don't belong to a community you don't get spells, training, healing, enchantments, and you don't go adventuring. What do you call the *excellent* adventures of DLoD if not "community-integrated"? Is not "Troubled Waters" from RoC deeply set into its context? In my campaigns nobody ever played an Uroxi because of their antisocial activities (and also because of my particular view of Chaos - see #514). ALL Praxian males are Waha initiates by default, unless they rejected their clan to become some Storm Khan's followers, are they not? But even the Uroxi make a close-knit community in the end. I really can't find an example of the solitary hero. I think it's a matter of taste, and not something inherent to the RQ game system.

        PCs can live outside a community only if they're not "normals", maybe because of their superior weapon skills, magic or important destiny. But in this case I would not extrapolate the nature of a society from the nature of a few very particular individuals. And sorry Brian, you may have had many more playing experiences than I, but I still think that all your PCs and NPCs are a small sample of the total Prax population. But Nick Brooke said it a lot better than I in #515.

        Alex

P.S.: Brian Tickler wrote:

<<Waha is not the defining social cult in Prax, from a game perspective.
It's Stormbull. How do I know this? Because there's at least 20 Stormbull player characters for every Waha player character. It doesn't really matter how important the "background" material says Waha is or what percentage of Praxian tribe members the books say worship him when there are so many more PCs, *NPCs published in official scenarios*, etc. that are Stormbull, and not Waha.>>