R: Chaos is a bad, bad thing!

From: Alexandre Lanciani <alex.lanciani_at_flashnet.it>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:08:56 +0200

        First, let me thank you for your warm welcome and please forgive me if sometimes my opinions are based more on personal speculations and less on official (or semi-official) material. You know, here in Italy it is bloody difficult to get any kind of non-Avalon Hill Gloranthan material! Now, to get to the point:

> Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 01:00:06 -0500
> From: Chris Bell <argrath_at_xsite.net>
> Subject: Chaos is a bad, bad thing!

> First, I assume that you're referring to the worship of Humakt and >
Chalana Arroy by *illuminant* Broos that are referenced in Dorastor, Land > of Doom.
No, I'm referring to the Wild Healer of Rockwoods Mountains (which should be a Broo) and to the fact that Humakt is God of War, so any warrior should be eligible to worship him.

 In the
> Golden age, when all was perfect, there was no plague or suffering.
Nor Death... Moreover, diseases are spirit-induced, so IMHO they are - to a certain extent - independent from Malia.

> One can't speak for the deeds of a Deity's worshippers, as the Compromise
> allows mortals full freedom.

Except when one of these worshippers steals from a temple, or misses his Holy Day, or doesn't tithe... We are talking about Deities with hosts of Spirits of Reprisal, so I think that the actions of worshippers qualify the God (but I'm getting dangerously close to a Tiresome Topic).

  As stated in prior writings by FGS himself, nature
> is actually what's lawful, the world as it was before the coming of >
Chaos.
According to the Introduction to Glorantha Book: "Glorantha represents a bubble in an infinity of chaos, order randomly formed. But the Gods War weakend that order..." I took it to mean that Glorantha formed out of Chaos according to the laws of the Theory of Probability, and in this sense I said that the disordered state was the stable one, because sooner or later a fluctuation would have reverted that island of order to the more probable state. I'm a mathematician after all...

 For vague and easy-to-twist
> morality, check out Storyteller.

Could you explain, please? What is Storyteller?

To wrap up, I'd like to say that what I wrote was just a staging tip for Chaos. IMG I portray Chaos as the tempting, apparently unstoppable force which must nevertheless be stopped. PCs carry on their ordinary lives pulled in different directions by what they know and what they guess. More often than not they fall, and this shows how strong is the Temptation of Chaos. The above was just to clarify, not to make polemics.

        Alex

P.S: Will you convert me to your loud Gods by telling their failures? The Goddess would never have provoked a "I Fought, We Won" battle. It takes a God such as Orlanth to hide away in Hell while his brothers carry on a fight begun for his misdeeds! ;-)