Re: Illustrations

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 17:07:47 EDT

Tom Merchant:

<< John D. Holmes wrote:

>(PS: we hated Dobyski's artwork as much as everyone >else did.)

 If the editors hated the artwork why was Dobyski retained as illustrator?.>>

      Because it wasn't their decision? Certainly, in the supplement I'm working on at present the editor has no say about the artwork, which is determined by the publisher.

<< If Hero Wars doesn't have design and artwork at least as good as the White Wolf line it will sink like a stone. It would be a shame for this project to fail for the sake of a decent art director and a half-decent budget.>>

      Hiring artists is part of what they needed the $50,000 for.

<< If Hero Wars comes out looking as bad as I think it might I will cry.>>

     I can see no reason to suppose that HW will look bad from anything I've heard so far - or to be fair, any particular reason to suppose it will look fantastic. Certainly CoC and Pendragon products aren't so bad looking that they'd make me want to cry... OTOH, HW will look somewhat unusual because the books will be A5 size (about half that of typical RPG supplements for the benefit of those who don't understand UK paper sizes) and it remains to be seen how popular that will prove - can't see any problem myself, but markets can be fickle.

Chris Bell:

<<When I called Chaosium to give them my credit card number to join as an initiate, I had the pleasure of speaking with Greg himself, briefly! He said we could expect the first set of books at around Christmas time.>>

     Therefore around January in Europe, I'd expect, and presumably later still in the antipodes. Being able to publish in the US in time for the Christmas rush was one of the reasons for the charter deadline being set when it was, apparently.

<< Also, King of Sartar is due to be reprinted. Yippee!>>

     You can get more details about that at the Issaries website.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky