Free the Voralans!

From: Steven Barnes <SBarnes_at_brio.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:59:22 -0700

Having played a black elf back in the RQ2 days, I was quite annoyed when RQ3 came out, and my PC was revealed to be a squat, bulbious-headed munchkin. In otherwords, I was Gregged (or maybe Sandy'ed, I don't know). To this day, a "friend" likes to remind me about what my character "really looks like"

I realize that it is too late to undo this injustice, but I have to ask: why is it that the mushroom people are depicted as bizarre little creatures that sit around doing nothing? Trees don't seem very mobile, if you ask me. Playing a "tree-man" would be pretty boring, if we were to give them the same revisionist treatment that the black elves recieved.

Do green elves stand around in the sun all day, waiting to be pollinated by bees?

Do green elves enjoy meals of decayed leaves mixed with mammal shit? (well, some on the list think this would be a "cool" idea...)

Basically there is no reason (other than the whims of Chaosium authors) why black elves should be any less playable than green or brown elves.

John Holmes:

<< "Remember, these are mushroom people!"

 Voralans spend almost all of their time in the dark, doing absolutely  nothing, and getting high on their 'shrooms.