Re: Chaos and Nature

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_csi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:57:36 +0100

Morgan quotes Simon, and writes:

>> Chaos is anti-nature. The world of Nature was created from the
>> precreated firmament, of which chaos is a manifestation. We should
>> not confuse creation from a thing with identity with that thing.
>> Nature is not a part of chaos, and chaos is not a part of nature.
>> Corruption by chaos is a degeneration into a precreated state,
>> which is unnatural by definition.

> First, other than the 3rd sentence, I have no idea what any of this means.

OK, I'll try saying it again with smaller words. The world of Glorantha arose from Chaos, and nature only exists within the world. This does not mean that Chaos is natural: just because it's the source of a thing, doesn't make it that thing. When Chaos comes into the world, it is unnatural. All Chaotic things in the world are unnatural. And when things in the world are tainted by Chaos, they become unnatural. Being tainted by Chaos is never a "natural" process.

> Second, assuming I did know what this means, upon what facts, published > Gloranthan mythology, or interpretations do you base these statements?

Presumably the usual suspects: "Cults of Terror" cosmology, "Introduction to Glorantha" on Chaos, "Gods of Glorantha" monomyth, plus their subsequent baroque elaborations ("Lords of Terror", "Drastic: Chaos", Tales #8 "Chaos Special", etc.).

Simon's account does appear to be consistent with everything we know about Gloranthan Chaos. Some weirdoes would disagree about the details (e.g. Nysalor Illuminates, Lunar priestesses, Boristi wizards, player characters who've picked up accidental Chaotic Features, etc.), but the general outline is good.

Major refs on the Glorantha website:
http://www.glorantha.com/library/world/intro-chaos.html http://www.glorantha.com/library/history/cot-cosmology.html

Regards, Nick