Re: The Glorantha Digest V6 #517

From: david.boatright_at_clinisis.co.uk
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:55:21 +0000

>Sad but true..."an interesting experiment" is about all
>you can ever get out of these types of campaigns, with I
>guess the exception of Pam Carlson and the famous
>Seattle group :) (yes, I know there are others...that
>.was a joke). You cannot get "munchkins", who by the
>very nature of the genre have to be a significant makeup
>.of a RPG's market, to play in or enjoy such things.
>There's also a middle ground of mainstream players (IMO)
>who will take *some* of this, but not a majority of it.
>I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing, just that it
>does work that way.

>From anything I have seen this 'interesting experiment' is what is
being played by the majority of RQ and Gloranthan players, it is yourself, and some undefined horde of gamers that you seem to personally know that are still stuck with RQ and Glorantha when it was hanging on the coat tails of AD&D. True enough though if all you want in a scenario is to go down into a hole filled with chaos monsters randomly generated from the chaos feature table then your narrow defination of playable cults is great, but as someone who managed to devleop past this in the last 10 years of gaming I find this hard to swallow.

I don't think that any one on this list has a problem with playing in this style, but please stop ramming it down are throats that this is the 'proper' to play RQ\Glorantha. It is not our fault that you can't get any players past the 'munchkin' stage.